East Haddam Free Public Library and Reading room association


The East Haddam Free Public Library was founded in 1888 by William E. Nichols. The current building was donated by Judge Albert E. Purple in 1919, and is located in the Moodus section of East Haddam at 18 Plains Road.


Along with the donation of the building, the judge donated a sum of $300 to contribute to the support and upkeep of the library. That amount has grown significanly over the decades and is managed by a Board of Directors that contribute both their time and funding to the Town of East Haddam towards the operation of the library to this day.